Friday, October 29, 2010

learning club(revisited)

When I was younger we used to have 'learning clubs', where the moms would take turns running different programs for the kids.
We had everything from Math Club to Writing Club, and they were always so much fun. We never called anything a 'class', but that's basically what they were.
Except way more fun than any class you could imagine.

My mom decided to start a Club for the little ones this year, and yesterday was our first stab at it.

I think my mom is going for the a history/geography kind of thing, but really it's just a bunch of kids getting together and having fun.

We are learning about different Continent's, and this week we learned about Europe. We  had a special guest come to talk to us about growing up in Holland. All the kids really enjoyed listening to her story.
They had a few dutch treats before getting to make some of their own.
It was too bad that I had a live math meeting that morning, I had to miss out on listening to our guest tell her story.

This was our first time ever attempting strudel. We had all the kids cutting apples and mixing ingredients.


Micah got to grate the lemon peel.

Concentrate!

Once the filling was all mixed together, most of the kids headed outside to play in the leaves. They worked on get a pile started for a while, but by the time I got down there with my camera, they were more than ready to start playing.

Throwing leaves it always fun! But it seems like it was only the boys getting in on it.



Superman raking the leaves!

"Take my picture"


Superman wanted his picture taken too... but he had a hard time getting the swing to stop spinning.


The boys hard at work.






I think this might have been my last time wearing sandals this season... it was a bit chilly.

The phylo pastry we used for the strudel was a bit tricky to work with, but some of the moms got the knack of it, and it seemed to work out pretty well.
Here's the finished product.

YUM!
 One of the families had to leave before everyone went outside to play, and they didn't get to taste any of the strudel, so we packed some up to send to them.

Having all the kids around the table, it looked just like it did 8 years ago with all my friends, ready to learn and more than willing to go and play.
As everyone had their mouths full of apple-ly goodness, my mom read the story A Song For Lena by Hillary Horder Hippely, its the book that we got our strudel recipe from.


It was a great first go at learning club revisited.
I know I had fun!

At some point someone must have gotten a hold of my camera. I just discovered a series of shots that I most definitely did not take.


No comments:

Post a Comment