Friday, September 24, 2010

cartwheels and buggy adventures

Yesterday was a lovely first day of fall.
The sun was shining and there was a soft smiling breeze.
If was the perfect day to be out enjoying the last tender morsels of glorious summer weather.
Off the the Cricket Place it was.

The kids went with mom to there farm program in the morning with mom, while I was stuck at home in front of the computer screen.
When freedom finally arrived dad loaded me and a picnic lunch into our little green car to meet the rest of our family at our all time favourite place.

The Cricket Place(lovingly christened by my insect catching little superhero brother) is a natural area about 15 minutes from our house. It's this devine little hideaway from the real world, still with in the city.
I don't know how we didn't find out about it sooner. But this year my families been there more than any other local park or play area.

I don't always get to tag along - and some times there outing time is my quite time at home.
But when I do I always enjoy it.
Stepping into this lovely green space just seems to relax everyone on the spot.
You take one breath of the woodsy air and you can't help but smile.

There is always so much to look at. There are yellow fields splashed through with wide brush strokes of violet.



 We ate out picnic lunch, then headed off on a adventure each with our own agendas. The Princess looking for all things pretty, and my Superhero in search of anything that you wouldn't want to find in your house(but we sometimes do thanks to him).


The Little Bug Hunter!

I love the vivid combination of such cheerful colours.



I think my Superhero's bug enthusiasm has worn off on me... maybe just a bit. I find my camera aimed at creepy crawlies more than anything else!


This was the first bug my camera caught of the day, and I think it started a trend.

There's something that entices about the enchanting dress of the wasp and bee family.
The yellow and black is just so charming that I have to remind myself not to get too close.
This was my absolute favourite picture to take that day!
This lovely guy was perched on his web, camouflaged into a burr bush. I had to avoid getting stuck all over with those tricky brown things to be able to get this close.
But in the process, I'm pretty sure I got a mosquito bite or two...
The little superhero finally zeroed in on his prize

Success!
It was a great trip out. Once we had search around for bugs long enough, we were finally able to make our way into the little pond. The Superhero has proven that he really dose have super powers. He can catch frogs in his bare hands without even blinking. I don't know how he does it, but it's pretty impressive.

We left happy. My little superhero's was wet up to the bellybutton, boots sloshing with every step.
The Princess and I were more than dizzy after cartwheeling across the field back to the car.

It was a great trip, and I only hope we can squeeze out a few more sun-filled outings before the cold sets in for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment