Thursday, September 9, 2010

not back to school

This week has been pretty mellow for me as the rest of the world has rushed back to school. The other day I went to the park for a picnic with a group of homeschoolers. It's a tradition.
Every year we have a not back to school picnic. We basically get the whole park to ourselves, and it's just lovely.
The weather was perfect. Not to hot, and no rain. Couldn't have ask for more.

I'm the only homeschooler my age left in my group. There are a few other teens, but we don't really have the same interests, and I haven't had much luck connecting with them because we are so different.

All my friends have slowly disappeared off to the world of institutionalized learning. But I haven't made the plunge yet. And honestly, I don't really care to.
I enjoy where I am and what I'm able to do.

I just don't have time for school.

I've been told that I need to get my priorities straight. But to tell you the truth, I do. I'm doing what I need to, and learning what I want. I'll be able to graduate, no problem, and I don't need a school to help me along.
I'm where I'm supposed to be, and beyond where I should be - if I'm measuring against the school system.
I've experience so much more than most kids my age.

I've seen the workings of a farm, inside and out. I've been 200 ft under the ground. I've visited several well know museums. I've written a 50,000 word novel in a month. I'm able to be in what ever musical, or theatrical production I can get into. I study flute, piano and voice.
I've never felt as if I'm at a lack of social or educational experiences. I'm happy with where I am, and I'm excited about where I'm going.

I'm my opinion, being homeschooled, is amazing. It may not be the right fit for everyone, but it sure works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment